We’re pleased to announce that effective immediately, users of the free Odolog application can download an update which will make all future updates completely automatic.
Previously, if you needed to update your version of Odolog, the only way to do it was by reinstalling Odolog from scratch.
Starting now, we have incorporated the ability to update Odolog automatically.
Do I need this update?
Here’s a quick way to find out if you already have the newest version. While running Odolog, choose Help … About.
If you see version 1.2.68 (or higher), you already have the latest version and don’t need to install this one-time update.
If your version is not 1.2.68 or higher, it would be a good idea to perform this special update. Why? Because in the future, any time we deploy an bug fix or enhancement update, it will install itself automatically.
To install this special update, please follow these eight easy steps:
- Back up your data. Although we don’t expect this update to interfere with your data files—it’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s always better to have too many backups–than not enough.
To back up your data, choose File … Backup Data Files from the main menu. This will create a Zip file containing any data you’ve entered since you first started using Odolog.
- Re-download OdoLog and install over the top of your existing installation.
- Right-click the shortcut you use to launch Odolog … and choose Properties from the menu that appears …
- Click Open File Location on the next dialog.
IMPORTANT: do not replace the Odolog.exe file in the folder that appears (see screenshot below)!!
In other words: don’t overwrite the file that has a red IO logo. (FYI, this is a small launcher app, which we use to launch the actual Odolog application.) DO NOT replace it.
Let me say this again: You do not want to replace the odolog launcher file that has a red IO logo.
- Instead, double-click the Resource Folder to open it
- Then double-click the Odolog folder inside the Resource Folder.
- Inside this folder, you’ll find another file called odolog.exe. This is the one you want to replace.Replace the odolog.exe that you find inside the Odolog folder (which is a subfolder of the Resource folder) by copying/pasting the new Odolog.exe from the Zip file you downloaded into this folder. If prompted: yes, you want to overwrite the existing file.
- Finally, close all open windows, and re-launch Odolog. When you choose Help … About, you should see version 1.2.68 (or higher)
What happens next?
In the future, whenever we release a new version of Odolog, you will see a dialog–asking whether you want to install the latest update.
(You’ll see it when you’re exiting Odolog.) Once you agree to install the update, it’ll be deployed automatically. The next time you launch Odolog, you’ll have the latest and greatest version.
One Final Note:
Odolog is free, and we don’t have any plans to start charging for it. But if these instructions seem overwhelming and you’d like us to deploy the one-time update for you, we’ll be happy to help.
We’ll need to charge a one-time flat fee of $9.99 to cover our expenses. (On average it should take less than 10 minutes for us to connect up and deploy this update.)