Category Archives: WordPress Installs

Finishing touches are complete … for now.

OK. It took some tinkering, but I figured out how to configure network settings inside CentOS-6, to complete the migration. I had to change the settings to use a static IP address and specify the right gateway. Then I started looking into different themes. For now, I settled on WordPress’ TwentyTen theme, but tweaked the logic under the hood, adding some custom PHP to incorporate Google Adsense. It wasn’t too difficult–just took a little trial and error. So now there’s a banner ad at the top, and a skyscraper on the right.

Somewhere, someone said that you have to download a plugin to accomodate Adsense. Maybe that was old information, or maybe it’s still true if you don’t want to hack the underlying php code.

This concludes the initial development and setup of blog.iotechno.com.

WordPress migration to CentOS 6 is close to done

Yes, CentOS appears to behave better than Slackware did–at least as far as WordPress is concerned. I was actually able to install a plugin on the new machine. However, I wasn’t real impressed with the WordPress Import plugin–it didn’t appear to do much at all–even after I got it installed. What really made the difference was doing a mysqldump of the wordpress database on the old server, and importing it into this one. Then all the posts showed up like nobody’s business.

All that’s left to be done is to change this server’s internal IP address so that it routes correctly out to the internet. Then I can start looking into installing a different theme and additional plugins.

More WordPress issues to resolve

I struggled to install a couple of plugins and received the message: An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums.

Try again

Yeah, right. Try again. Try finding an explanation as to what’s causing this or how to deal with it, but no joy. Oh, I found a thread that amounted to an argument between other frustrated WP users as to whether they should start a separate thread about this issue or not–but no solutions appeared on the horizon.

So here’s what I’m going to do: Abandon this Slackware install. I googled the question, “Which is the best distro for WordPress.” The concensus seems to be either Ubuntu or CentOS, with more answers leaning toward CentOS. I’m not a big fan of Ubuntu–seems too much geared for users who don’t need or want to get under the hood. And I’d prefer not having to use sudo all the time.

So for now, I’m downloading CentOS 6.3 and will install it on a different machine.

Configuring WordPress

So far I’ve been able to get WordPress running–up to a point. As long as the updates that I want to submit are saved into the MySQL database, everythings fine. But when I tried to upload a different image to customize this blog site, it started getting ugly. The site returned the message: The uploaded file could not be moved to /wp-content/uploads/2012/08.

I searched for solutions online. One suggested tweaking the upload folder, adding/removing leading / trailing forward slashes. That didn’t work. Others suggested that you have to update permissions to 777. I was hesitant to do so, because that’s just throwing the door wide open for hackers. But after messing around for several hours, I decided to give it a try–thinking that I’d be able to reset permissions afterward. For me, that fixed the issue. Our blog now displays a custom header at the top of the 2011 theme.

I also tried adding a comment to see whether I could. Since this wrote straight to mySQL, it wasn’t a problem. But I noticed that the site didn’t email me a notification–even though it appears to be configured correctly. I suspect the issue is that I didn’t install sendmail on the machine. I’m going to poke around some more to see whether I can use smtp passthrough to route emails back and forth between this new machine and our mail server. I’ll update this blog once I figure that out.

Working out the kinks

When I first set up this blog site, I hadn’t configured DNS yet, so it was easier at the time (or so I thought), to just use the intended IP address. Little did I realize that this particular IP address was being saved into the underlying MySQL tables! Only later, when the blog server received its final static IP address assignment and I updated DNS accordingly, did I realize how much of a challenge this would prove to be.

Googling for ‘WordPress IP Address change’ resulted in a number of links confirming that yes, this was not going to be a cake walk. The accepted solution on stackoverflow was this:

update wp_options set option_value=’http://www.yourblogname.com’ where option_id = 1;
update wp_options set option_value=’http://www.yourblogname.com’ where option_id = 39;

While that helped, it didn’t totally resolve the issue. Ultimately I ended up doing a mysqldump of the database, opening it up in Notepad++ and substituting blog.iotechno.com for the original IP address. After saving the file to a different name (just in case importing the .sql script might screw up the database structure), I launched mysql and imported the new script. Worked like a charm!