After a fairly steep learning curve, I finally have WordPress up and running on a Slackware 12.37 box. It was actually easier the second time around, after I spent several days trying to install Qmail, then configuring and deploying it on a new machine (also running Slackware 12.37).
I’m sure there would have been an easier way than the one I took–deploying a barebones install of Slackware (deliberately NOT installing Apache, MySql or PHP during the setup), then manually installing the components. But for the life of me, I couldn’t get the three from the base install to peacefully coexist.
But hey, it’s working now!