Working out the kinks

When I first set up this blog site, I hadn’t configured DNS yet, so it was easier at the time (or so I thought), to just use the intended IP address. Little did I realize that this particular IP address was being saved into the underlying MySQL tables! Only later, when the blog server received its final static IP address assignment and I updated DNS accordingly, did I realize how much of a challenge this would prove to be.

Googling for ‘WordPress IP Address change’ resulted in a number of links confirming that yes, this was not going to be a cake walk. The accepted solution on stackoverflow was this:

update wp_options set option_value=’’ where option_id = 1;
update wp_options set option_value=’’ where option_id = 39;

While that helped, it didn’t totally resolve the issue. Ultimately I ended up doing a mysqldump of the database, opening it up in Notepad++ and substituting for the original IP address. After saving the file to a different name (just in case importing the .sql script might screw up the database structure), I launched mysql and imported the new script. Worked like a charm!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.